Andrew J. Kaufmann, ND

Hours : Monday through Thursday - 9am to 5pm
  CALL NOW : (480) 840-1841

Miasms and Disease – Part 1

What are Miasms?

As we mentioned in our last blog, a miasm is defined as the fundamental cause of an erroneous or diseased state of the body. Chronic conditions are caused by chronic miasms, just as acute conditions are caused by acute miasms. Miasms cause a complete dynamic and physical change to the interior of the whole man…his whole being is altered. It is only after this complete change has occurred that symptoms of the disease or illness are demonstrated.

The original three foundational miasms identified by Samuel Hahnemann are Psora, Syphilitic and Sycotic. About 85% of the diseases are classified in the Psora miasm with the remaining 15% distributed between the Syphilitic and Sycotic miasms.

Starting with the miasms with the smaller percentage of diseases, we’ve listed each one below and their related diseases or areas of body where the disease might develop.

The Sycotic Miasm includes all conditions of excess of the mind and body. Any conditions with the prefix of “hyper”, such as “hyperactivity” and “hypertension” are included. It also includes conditions with inflammation and a suffix of “itis” such as “sinusitis”. It also includes the following types of disease:

  • sexual
  • urinary
  • joint issues
  • mucous membrane afflictions
  • arthritis and rheumatism
  • asthma
  • catarrhs
  • bronchitis
  • cystitis
  • warts (includes all warty excrescences and growths)

The Syphilis Miasm typically involves ulcerative conditions. All diseases with tissue destruction and degeneration are included in this miasm. All conditions with a preMiasms are the foundation of homeopathy diagnosis and treatment in Mesa, AZfix of “dys” are included such as “dystrophy”. It includes the following types of diseases:

  • nervous system
  • blood disorders
  • skeletal conditions
  • range of psychological disorders (including: alcoholism, depression, suicidal impulses, insanity, loss of smell and taste, blindness, deafness and ulcerations)
  • many heart conditions
  • some vesicular skin eruptions
  • diseases that have a definite nocturnal periodicity

The Psora Miasm is the largest and most encompassing miasm. Individuals with this classification typically have a “lack” of mentality and poverty consciousness. They are prone to anxiety and pessimism. The Psora miasm is a disease with deficiency at all levels – knowledge, thoughts/ideas and nutrition. Diseases in this miasm typically start with “hypo”, such as hypotension (low blood pressure). It includes diseases and afflictions such as:

  • all non venereal chronic diseases
  • all skin diseases
  • most mental illness other than syphilitic ones
  • allergies
  • varicose veins
  • hemorrhoids
  • most dysfunctional diseases of organs and systems
  • catarrhs
  • asthma
  • pleurisy
  • haemoptysis
  • hydrocephalus
  • stomach ulcers
  • scrotal swelling
  • jaundice
  • swollen glands
  • cataract
  • diabetes
  • tuberculosis
  • epilepsy
  • fevers

After the initial three primary miasms were identified by the father of Homeopathy, Samuel Hahnemann, MD in the late 1700’s, additional and more specific miasms where defined. Not all of them are widely accepted by Naturopathic doctors and other homeopathic prescribers. We will cover a few of these miasms in our next post.

Leave a Reply